Pastor Wayne Porter
- Favorite Verse: Philippians 1:6
- Favorite Hymn: “It Will Be Worth It All”
- Serving as:Pastor of the flock
- What I appreciate most about Manchester: I have been involved at Manchester Baptist Church for over twenty-two years. I have served as the youth pastor, assistant pastor, and nine years as senior pastor. My favorite part about being involved at Manchester Baptist all these years is a sense that there has been a true effort to remain committed to the truth that is found in the Holy Scriptures.
- Testimony:“I prayed to receive Christ as my saviour when I was a first grade student at Warwick Christian School. I rededicated my life to the Lord at Manchester Baptist Church in 1989. In lieau of the fact that I was saved in a Christian School, I had not been Scriptually baptized. After rededicating my life to Christ I was convicted of my need for baptism. In the summer of 1992, I surrendered my life to a leadership role in the work of the Lord and went to Atlantic Baptist Bible College. After our former pastor was called home to be with the Lord in the summer of 2001 the church called me to serve as their senior pastor.”
- Favorite Verse:Romans 8:28
- Favorite Hymn:“I’d Rather Have Jesus” and “Something Beautiful”
- Serving as:Prayer warrior, visitation team, Sunday school teacher, nursery coordinator, Preschool Children’s church worker, church secretary and treasurer
- What I appreciate most about Manchester:The thing I appreciate and enjoy the most in attending Manchester Baptist Chruch is being under the Word of God through a pastor at the pulpit with a humble heart, desiring to glorify the Lord rather than make compromises with the world. I appreciate Pastor Wayne’s view of a successful church. Having a congregation with a spirit of unity in honoring God with yielded hearts that are burdened for the lost who are willing to reach out and be used of God in following His perfect Will. This brings God glory and this is the purpose of the New Testament church. Pastor Wayne also places strong emphasis on missions and evangelism around the world.
- Testimony:“I was saved and baptized at the age of eight at Hollins Road Baptist Church in Roanoke, Va. During my teenage years, I struggled to live my life for the Lord. This struggle led me to doubt my salvation. Through counseling and prayer with my pastor, I realized that I was saved, but was in need of rededicating my life to the Lord. I praise the Lord for His protection, grace, and mercy that only He could extend to me during and through those difficult teenage years filled with tough trials and spiritual battles. Although I struggled in my walk with the Lord as a teenager, I always felt that one day He was going to use me for His special purpose and plan.
In 1988, the Lord answered a special prayer that I had prayed in request for a special friend. Little did I know then that this special friend was soon going to be my best friend and life’s partner. Wayne Porter and I were married on May 12 1990 at Manchester Baptist Church under the ministry of Roger W. Jarrell. Roger Jarrell was like a father to me. He was a faithful preacher of God’s Word. The Lord used Pastor Jarrell and his wife Pat Jarrell, to be wonderful mentors to Wayne and I both.
Through the preaching of the Word of God, and the precious working of the Holy Spirit, the Lord began a great work in my life. I am truly grateful for a wonderful Savior Who loves me in spite of my past failures and struggles to live completely for Him. In the hymn “Something Beautiful”, it is true of my life, in that all I had to offer Him was a broken-ness and strife, but He made something beautiful of my life. The Lord revealed His purpose and plan for my life. I’m currently serving in various areas of ministry here at Manchester. I do realize the most important ministry I have is being a prayer warrior and source of encouragement and support to my husband as he leads Manchester Baptist Chruch under the leadership of Jesus Christ.
I am currently working to receive a degree in Christian counseling to help in ministering to those who are hurting and need guidance and encouragement in their walk with the Lord. People need to know that their only hope is to trust in Jesus to see them though their trials, so they too can say that all they had to offer Him was broken-ness and strife, but He made Something Beautiful our of their lives.”
- Favorite Verse:Amos 3:3
- Favorite Hymn:“Nothing but the Blood”
- Serving as:Prayer warrior, nursery worker, and occasional piano player
- What I appreciate most about Manchester:I like to serve Jesus.
- Testimony:“In the summer of 2002, I was 4 years old. I heard my dad preach a message. I had questions so I asked my mom and she led me to the Lord, and now I am a Christian.”